Thursday, May 3, 2012
Chocolate peanut butter pie
So back in my first post of the year I made a New Year's Resolution to post more often. That didn't last very long obviously, as it's been about three months since I posted on here. So I'm getting back to work with this post. I made this chocolate peanut butter pie for two parties over the Christmas season and it was a big hit. It's very rich and delicious. I used a pre-made crust, because I was feeling lazy. The filling comes from a recipe from thepioneerwoman.com. The chocolate ganache recipe comes from evilchefmom.com.
One pre-made pie crust
Chopped peanuts and shaved dark chocolate for topping
For the filling:
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 package (8 ounce) softened cream cheese
1-1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 package (8 ounce) Cool Whip, thawed
For the topping:
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup whipping cream
1. Beat the peanut butter with the cream cheese until smooth.
2. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
3. Add in the thawed Cool Whip and beat mixture until smooth, scraping the sides as needed.
4. Pour filling into crust, evening out the top with a knife or spatula. Chill for at least an hour before topping with the ganache.
5. In a pan, combine the sugar and 1/2 cup cream. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
6. Lower heat immediately and simmer, without stirring, 5-6 minutes until slightly thick and pale yellow.
7. Remove from heat and stir in butter and chocolate until melted. Let chocolate mixture cool slightly.
8. Pour the topping over pie and spread to cover completely and evenly.
9. Chill, uncovered, about 1 hour until firm.
10. When the topping is semi-cool sprinke chopped peanuts and shaved dark chocolate on top.