Egg drop soup

Egg drop soup is a personal favorite of mine, so I wanted to see how challenging it would be to make at home. It turns out that it's actually very simple to make, but hard to get perfect. The version I made was pretty good, but could have been a bit better. The recipe I used comes from Simplerecipes.com. I'd recommend it, but with a couple of tweaks, which I describe below.



Ingredients:
3 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups of chicken stock
1 tablespoon of corn starch
1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
3 green onions, chopped
1/4 teaspoon of white pepper
3/4 cup of straw, enoki, or sliced shitaki mushrooms

Directions:
1. Reserve 1/2 cup of the stock and mix with the cornstarch until dissolved.
2. Place the chicken stock, ginger, soy sauce, green onions, mushrooms and white pepper in a pot and bring to a boil.
3. Add the cornstarch and stock mixture and stir. Reduce heat to a simmer.
4. Slowly pour in the beaten eggs while stirring the soup. The egg will spread out into ribbons. Turn off the heat and garnish with a few more chopped green onions. Serve immediately.

The Results:
I liked this recipe, but there were a couple of changes I would have made to improve it. The recipe calls for enoki, straw or sliced shitaki mushrooms. I used enoki, because they were what was available at the market near my apartment. The sliced shitaki mushrooms probably would have worked a bit better and added more to the soup. I'm also used to egg drop soup which is a bit thicker than how mine turned out. To fix this, I would add a bit more corn starch in the future. I used low sodium soy sauce, because that's what I had at home when I was making this, and the soup needed salt when it was finished. I'd recommend using regular soy sauce instead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream icing and dark chocolate ganache glaze

Chicken breasts stuffed with goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes

Chicken Pot Pie